For 20 years we’ve been producing television shows – popular factual, entertainment, drama and documentary. We’ve created characters, documented histories and captured real life stories – around 100 documentaries in total, and more than 100 series. We’ve won numerous awards and achieved high ratings at the same time.
Our producers, directors, writers and production teams are creative and experienced, and work to demanding standards. Creativity is at the heart of everything we do. We develop new shows and work with the networks to deliver outstanding multiple-genre entertainment to television audiences around the world.
We continue to expand our horizons, currently filming series in Melbourne and Sydney as well as New Zealand.
Greenstone was founded in 1994 by John Harris, a journalist and programme-maker with many years’ experience in newspapers, radio and television – latterly at TVNZ (where he was editor of the nightly Top Half magazine show) and Communicado (where he launched and produced That’s Fairly Interesting and Heroes).
He was managing director and head of development until the end of 2013 when Greenstone was acquired by Cordell Jigsaw Zapruda (CJZ). John now acts as a consultant to the company.
- As Greenstone grew, the team was joined by respected producers and Greenstone quickly gained a reputation in documentaries (Godzone Sheep, Back from the Dead – the Saga of the Rose Noelle, Cave Creek), factual series (Against the Odds, Epitaph, Secret New Zealand) and factual entertainment (Guess who’s coming to Dinner).
- Greenstone is now best known for classic series like Motorway Patrol, Highway Patrol, Neighbours at War, SCU Serious Crash Unit, Border Patrol, Coastwatch and the ever-popular The Zoo. Many have successfully occupied prime time slots for up to 12 years and are still going strong.
- For the past decade, John Harris and the management team have built Greenstone into a widely respected and prolific production house - active in Australia as well as New Zealand.
- Greenstone has made a number of dramatized documentaries, and also produced two children’s drama series – The Amazing Extraordinary Friends and Secret Agent Men, both created by Stephen Campbell.
- In 2010 Greenstone acquired Cream Media.
- Many of New Zealand’s best producers, directors and writers work on Greenstone projects. They are supervised by Head of Production Andrea Lamb.
- Greenstone is currently filming factual series for TVONE, TV2, TV3 and Prime in New Zealand, and the Seven Network in Melbourne and Sydney. All are for prime time.
- December 2013 Greenstone was purchased by Australian company Cordell Jigsaw Zapruder known as CJZ. John Harris now acts as a consultant to the company.