Who’s Killing the Kiwi
Who’s Killing the Kiwi? is a TV documentary which examines the plight of New Zealand’s national symbol, the kiwi. The programme is part natural history, part investigative journalism.
Its title alludes to the fact that each day in this ‘clean, green, conservation-minded’ country … kiwis are dying. They are being slaughtered by dogs, possums, cats, cars, ferrets, pigs, poisoned bait, gin-traps, guns … as well as (unwittingly) by farmers and tourists.
Producer John Harris: “The nation which laments the fact that the moa was wiped out is committing the same crime against the kiwi. But there is still a lot we can do to make sure the kiwi survives and begins to thrive again.”
Who’s Killing the Kiwi? looks at:
* The extent of the problem: the grim reality of the fast-diminishing kiwi population. Some experts claim the bird will be extinct on the mainland in 15 years
* Public apathy, lack of Government funding and individual acts of carelessness and greed which are contributing to the kiwi’s demise.
* The small bands of enthusiasts in various outposts around New Zealand who are fighting a desperate rearguard action to save the kiwi.
* The drastic action which needs to be taken now to prevent the kiwi following in the footsteps of its late lamented cousin, the moa.
* New facts about this unusual bird.
John Harris: “There is a war going on out there, away from the public spotlight, in the valleys and forests of New Zealand. The kiwi is being killed off, and a small band of dedicated ‘soldiers’ – DoC workers, and volunteers – are fighting to save it. But they need public support – and our aim is to alert human Kiwis that their animal namesake needs their help. People involved in the BNZ recovery programme are already doing a lot – and we hope our documentary will inspire more New Zealanders to get involved.”
Promotional TrailerComing soon
Producer: John Harris
Thanks to: Bank of New Zealand, major contributor to the Kiwi Recovery Programme
Network Executive: Geoff Steven
Director: Haunui Royal
Series Liaison: Kathy Sunderland
Writer/Researcher: Jo Webster
Offline Editor: Nicola Smith
Online Editor: Rick Williams
Production manager: Cathy White
Production assistant: Mandy Harris
Camera: Swami Hansa
Additional Camera: Nic Finlayson, John Ramsay
Sound: John Patrick
Additional Sound: Andrew Lovrin
Narrator: Jeffrey Thomas
Production accountant: Glenda Paterson
Funded by: TV3 & NZ On Air