Ben & Olivia
Gerald Hope wants to meet Scott Watson – the man convicted of murdering his daughter.
“I’d like to meet him – if he’d meet me?” Gerald Hope explains in “Ben & Olivia The Search for Truth” (screening TV3, Inside New Zealand).
And he knows exactly what he would say. “Scott, you convince me that you’re innocent and I’ll back you.” “If I’m convinced, and I believe you’re sincere, I’ll back you – that you’re a wrongly convicted New Zealand.”
The deep-seated fear that he may never really know what happened to Olivia prompted a very unusual meeting. Gerald Hope met Chris Watson – Scott’s dad – for the first time. If he couldn’t meet the son, he could at least meet the father.
Gerald Hope and Chris Watson – who’ve avoided each other since Ben and Olivia disappeared four and a half years ago – meet for the first time to debate the Marlborough mystery…
In “Ben & Olivia: The Search for Truth” Chris Watson and Gerald Hope give us their perspectives on the investigation and trial that changed the two families so dramatically.
For the first time we hear:
– That Gerald Hope has a premonition of his daughter’s disappearance..
– Before Scott Watson was arrested, Gerald Hope – and some people around him considered vigilante action to extract information from the prime suspect..
– The police organised a secret early morning viewing of Scott Watsons’ boat “Blade” for Gerald Hope – and he came away from that convinced his daughter had never been on board…
– Scott Watson “challenged” Gerald Hope throughout the trial to effectively prove him guilty – “The bastard eye-balled me…there was definitely a challenge…you prove that I murdered your daughter, you just prove it…”
– Gerald Hope now has some doubts about Scott Watson’s guilt – “we have no hard evidence to link Olivia and Ben and Watson. There’s a part of me that says, well, whether you like it or not he may or may not be guilty…”
– The meeting between the two fathers where they argue the specifics of the investigation and trial.
“Ben and Olivia: The Search for Truth” is the story of two dad’s trying to uncover the truth. Both, in a sense, have lost their children. Gerald Hope wants to know what really happened to Olivia and Ben and Chris Watson is fighting to get his son out of prison.
Gerald Hope and Chris Watson – this is their story…
Promotional TrailerComing soon
Year of screening: 2002
Producer: John Keir
Thanks to: Gerald Hope and Chris Watson
Exec producer: Tony Manson
Network exec: Sue Woodfield
Researcher: Dianne Lindesay
Online editor: Scott Morgan
Offline editor: Ken Spark
Production manager: Toni Williams
Camera: Murray Creed, John Ramsey
Sound: Bev Creed
Voice over: John Sumner
Music: Christopher Marshall
Sound mix: Grant Taylor
Title design: Varina Sydow
Production accountant: Jeanette Wiles-Crombie
Financial controller: Glenda Paterson
Funded by: TV3 & New Zealand On Air